Problems with Choosing White Framing Materials
White is probably the hardest color to match because there are tons of variations. Some are ‘warmer’, some are ‘cooler’ and they tend to have undertones of blue, yellow or even pink.
And here’s the thing: we mere mortals usually can’t discern the differences unless they’re side by side; then the differences become glaringly obvious.
Two more problems with matching are the lighting conditions and the conservation standards.
1) Different lighting can make the variances in color more pronounced, but in some cases it may actually hide it (somewhat). Certain fabrics, tones and dyes change differently in different light, so what looks great in one room may turn into a clunker in another.
2) if the framer hasn’t done a spot-on job with the conservation, say, for instance, using non-UV protective glass but using conservation matboards on a certificate or something, you may find that the white of the certificate may begin to yellow over time, while the matboard stays the original color!
So what should you do?
Take it to a competent, preferably PPFA certified framer and they should be able to help you nail down the tone that your want to match, and show it to you under a couple of different types of light.
And somewhat counter-intuitively, the independent framers typically have larger selections of framing and matting than do the big box retailers!
For more information on UV damage to artwork be sure to get our FREE:
Scroll Down and Leave a Comment!
We set out to Wow our Clients!
Nobody has the level of Training, Education, Awards, Distinctions and International Acclaim that We Do!
We Know Our Stuff
- Parkland County’s ONLY Certified Framer
- One of only FOUR Guild Commended Framers in Canada!
- One of only 17 Advanced Guild Commended Picture Framers in the world!!!
- Former Canadian Picture Framing Champions
- International People’s Choice Winner in Orlando, Florida!
- Past President of the National Picture Framer’s Assoc. (twice!)
- One of only 23 Certified Picture Framing Competition Judges in the world!
Check out our Awards and Distinctions
So Your Project is Done Right!
- Artwork of All Types
- Historical Photos
- Sports Collectables
- Degrees and Awards
- Holiday Souvenirs
- Military Medals
And Much, Much More!
Request an Appointment at Jackson's Gallery and Engraving
Get Our Undivided Attention
Jackson's is by Appointment Only
So we can give you the distraction free attention you deserve.
We're also happy to accommodate our clients outside of "normal" business hours.
Click here to Request an Appointment, or call us at (780) 960-1215